WHY CHOOSE PENTAGON?
Established in 1977, Pentagon is a locally owned and managed Builders Merchant and the Channel Islands' leading stockist of building materials and home improvement products. Whether you are an Architect, Designer, Builder, Developer, or Homeowner, we offer a fast and reliable service.
Employing over 70 experienced staff and adopting a flexible approach is the key to the strength and success of our business. We always ensure that we keep in step with, or one pace ahead of, current trends and needs.
We have forged huge relationships with some of the world's largest manufacturers and suppliers to achieve the most competitive prices and priority service, ensuring regular deliveries and support to our customers when they need it.
So, why not let Pentagon help you with your upcoming build or home improvement project. We provide the resources to make smart recommendations from the basics to a detailed "new build" timber frame?
WHY CHOOSE AN ARCHITECT OR DESIGNER?
An Architect or Designer can be a very valuable part of the building process, especially when building a new home, extension or even a very small alteration to the interior of your property. They can also be useful during the renovation process. However, to ensure that you get the home that you desire, it is important that you choose the right one for your needs.
You need to be able to communicate with your Architect or Designer and describe exactly what the building is to be used for. You also need to be specific about the activities or spaces that need to be accommodated in the design, what quality materials and finishes you require, and exactly what your budget is.
A good Architect or Designer should be able to draw up the right plans for you even if you are on a limited budget. However, it is a good idea to talk to them first to ensure that they are comfortable with working at your budget level.
By appointing an Architect or Designer, they can also advise you on all parts of the building process including...
- design and planning
- selecting the right Builder or Developer for the project
- carrying out feasibility studies
- managing the budget
- managing the building process and Contractors
- designing the interior of the building
- maintaining the building
- Loft conversions and certain extensions
- Conversions of garages to habitable accommodation
- Alterations to the internal layout
- The installation of fires, stoves, heating boilers, oil tanks and the like
- The installation of a new WC, shower, bathroom, kitchen or utility room where drainage works are required
- Alterations to walls, floors and roofs
- The provision, repair or replacement of a drainage system
- Newly formed windows, doors and roof lights
- Retaining walls, retaining greater that 1.0m of earth
It is extremely important to ensure that all legal requirements of the planning and building bye-laws are met.
WHY I MAY NEED A STRUCTURAL ENGINEER?
"To understand the role of a Structural Engineer, consider the analogy of the human body. While an Architect defines the body's outward appearance, its height, build, colour and the like, the Structural Engineer defines the skeleton that supports the body and the muscles to move it." - Ian Bashforth, Chairman - T & G Group of Companies.
All domestic and most commercial buildings have to comply with current building regulations, under which all items relating to a building structure, from a simple opening in an internal wall to a completely new building, need certification by a Chartered Structural Engineer.
Creating contemporary buildings with large open living spaces and vast areas of glazing require the skills of the Structural Engineer to ensure minimal structural form. Affiliated to professional bodies, Structural Engineers understand that new materials and forms of construction are consistently being developed. As with Architects and Designers, Structural Engineers are required to keep up-to-date with these changes and so will be best equipped to advise as to the merits or otherwise of these products for a particular use.
Whilst having a cost for their services, Structural Engineers can bring additional efficiencies into the design that may save in material building costs. It is always best to clarify with your Architect or Designer which areas of your project, if any, require the services of a Structural Engineer.
WHY CHOOSE A BUILDER OR DEVELOPER?
In any building or renovation project, the Builder or Developer is one of the most, if not the most, important elements. Therefore it is vital to take the time to choose the right builder for you. A recommendation from Family or Friends is almost always a good start! However, to help, we have put together a brief guide to ensure that your builder is successful for you.
There are several things that you should look out for when choosing a Builder or Developer for your project.
- Quality – you want the work to be carried out to the highest standard.
- Efficiency – your Builder or Developer should be able to complete the work within the agreed time frame.
- Reliability – you should feel confident that they will show up on time every day.
- Character – because they will be spending so much time with you during the project, you want a Builder or Developer that you will get on with and that you like.
- Insurance and Registration – your Builder or Developer must have the correct insurance to protect you in case anything goes wrong during the building process.
- Reputation – ask your family and friends what they have heard about your Builder or Developer and the work that they have undertaken.
- Specialty – many Builders or Developers specialise in different types of renovation or building projects so it is important to find one that suits the type of project you will be doing.
Builders, especially good ones, may be booked well in advance, so ensure you start looking early in the planning process. You may choose to have your Architect or Designer stay on as Project Manager or you may have an arrangement where your builder runs the job.
There are, however, specialist Project Management companies and, whilst this may be a bit more expensive, this can take many of the hassles out of the whole building process and will help to ensure a quality job.
You may wish to be the Project Manager yourself. If you do, please ensure you have the time, it requires a lot of time and ideally expertise.
Do you need help? Do you require further information on any product or service or need a quotation? Contact us or call us on 01534 888000.
Interest Free Credit available!
Upto 12 Months - Please Contact us for our Terms & Conditions
Call us - 01534 888000